If you’re considering a family holiday, you might be tempted to give travel insurance a miss, as you think you’ll never need it, and it’s just a waste of money. Travel insurance doesn’t have to be expensive, and often you’ll be able to find cheap family travel insurance if you look around.
However, like most insurance, you hope that you never need to use it, but if you do, you’ll want to make sure that you’re fully covered.
Here’s why you need family travel insurance:
1. Healthcare in many countries isn’t free. In the UK we’re lucky that healthcare treatment is free, and we don’t think about the actual cost of travelling to hospital, or an operation, or even just to see a doctor.
2. Even though in some countries, certain parts of healthcare treatment are free, others aren’t. The treatment might be, but other aspects such has the trip to hospital in an ambulance aren’t
3. Your travel insurance should cover you for the most common medical issues that are likely to happen, such as experiencing a serious injury or illness.
4. With holiday insurance, you’re also offered protection against things like your luggage being lost or delayed
5. As travellers have more and more electronic devices with them, such as mobile phones, cameras, camcorders, games consoles, and mp3 players, it more likely that they can be damaged, stolen, or lost. It only takes a freak wave whilst on the beach to render your camera, phone and MP3 player useless. What about if you dropped your camcorder whilst filming? Maybe you’re anxious about pick-pockets in big cities?
6. You might need to insure against sickness which prevents you form going on holiday. Your travel company may not refund you, but your insurance company might.
7. Holiday cancellations are not hat uncommon. Perhaps there are not enough people booked to go on the holiday you have chosen, and you don’t want to go to a different destination. Maybe the travel company has overbooked, leaving you without a holiday. Having travel insurance can help in situations like these.
8. You might go on several holidays a year as a family, or have lots of weekends away. You can purchase family travel insurance that will cover your for a full year, which means you don’t need to buy insurance each time you go abroad.
9. Many people are skiing and winter sports enthusiasts, or enjoy other dangerous pursuits whilst on holiday. These types of traveller are more at risk of injury than someone who lazes on a beach for a fortnight. If you enjoy active holidays, you’ll need to make sure that your travel insurance adequately covers you.
10. We’ve all hear the horror stories about cancelled or delayed flights, which mean that passengers have to cut short their holiday, or are stranded in an airport somewhere with nowhere to stay. With the right sort of travel insurance you can be covered against flight cancellations and delays.